SVForum & Procopio Present: Boot Camp for Start-Ups - Whip Your Start-Up Into Shape!
SVForum & Procopio Present:
Boot Camp for Start-Ups - Whip Your Start-Up Into Shape!
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:30am -5:00pm
Sheraton Hotel, Palo Alto
Note this event is only open to industry companies/individuals looking to form a start-up; no service providers please. Space is limited and registration is required.
This interactive full-day workshop has been developed by Procopio's Emerging Growth and Technology group for startup entrepreneurs. The members of the EG&T will provide winning strategies related to legal, fund raising, employment, executive compensation, tax and intellectual property issues to consider and the keys to successfully avoid the most common pitfalls made by entrepreneurs. Our featured lunch panel, "Zero to Exit and Everything in Between," will discuss issues for start-up entrepreneurs to consider, including the all important questions related to raising funds and attracting quality investors.
Hear unique perspectives from our confirmed speakers: Scott Kupor, Partner and COO, Andreessen Horowitz; Anu Nigam, Serial Entrepreneur, Active Angel Investor, Current Member and Past President of Sand Hill Angels; Adam Blum, CEO, Rhomobile (recently acquired by Motorola); George Hampton, CEO, Global Village Concerns (just named a Red Herring 100 Top Tech Company for 2012). Be sure to register early as this event usually sells out!
Key topics to be addressed will include:
• Legal and Business Issues for Start-Ups – Avoiding Traps for the Unwary
• Unintended Consequences Related to: Issuing Stock in Lieu of Compensation; Misclassification of Consultants;Termination of Founders and Employees
• Equity Compensation for Start-ups: “What Are My Options to Incentivize in a Hot Market?”
• Tax Implications Related to Options, Restricted Stock and Stock Awards
• Getting What You Need From a Board of Directors and Advisors
• “Nail It and Scale It: A Methodology for Entrepreneurial Success”- Keynote speech by Paul Ahlstrom, Co-Author and Successful VC who has raised $1.0 Billion
• Developing and Executing an Appropriate Funding Strategy
• There Are No Shortcuts to Raise Funds: The Perils of Reverse “Shell” Mergers, “Crowd Funding,” and Using Finders
• When and How to Protect Intellectual Property Other Than Through Patents: When to Rely on Trade Secrets, Copyrights and Trademarks to Protect Your IP
• How to Develop a Patent Strategy That Effectively Communicates the Company’s Value to Investors, Partners and Competitors
• Traps for the Unwary in Licensing, Collaboration and Strategic Partnerships
• “Beginning With the End in Mind”: Top 10 Mistakes You’re Likely Making Now That Could Blow Up Your Exit
• Business Model Scalability: How to achieve breakneck growth with intelligent customer acquisition strategies (Guest Speaker)
In this forum, Procopio attorneys from the EG&T team, special guest speakers, entrepreneurs and VCs will address these topics head-on. You are encouraged to bring your burning questions and informative insight to share during our special peer-to-peer and panelist Q&A session. For further details and program agenda click here .
Scott Kupor, COO & Partner, Andreessen Horowitz
Anu Nigam, Partner, Sand Hill Angels
Adam Blum, CEO, Rhomobile
George Hamton, CEO, Global Village Concerns
Scott Kupor, COO & Partner, Andreessen Horowitz Anu Nigam, Partner, Sand Hill Angels Adam Blum, CEO, Rhomobile George Hampton, CEO, Global Village Concerns
Paul Ahlstrom, VC, Co-Author, Nail it and Scale It
Johnny Chan, Co-Founder eBoost, Business Model Scalability
$85 Onsite Registration (Note: seating is limited; onsite registration will be based on availability)