Procopio and SV Forum Present: IP & Employment Matters - Common, Costly Mistakes for Start-up Entrep
SVForum & Procopio Presents:
IP & Employment Matters - Common, Costly Mistakes for Start-up Entrepreneurs to Avoid
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:00am -12:00pm
Sheraton, Palo Alto
Please note: This event is designed for industry companies/individuals who have already or are looking to form a start-up and is not open to other service providers. Seating is limited and registration is required.
Who should attend: Entrepreneurs, founders, CEOs and managers who are involved with or looking to start a company which will require outside funding.
If you do not avoid the most common IP and employment law mistakes made by many start-up entrepreneurs, your company's pre-money valuation could be significantly diminished when it comes to funding, which could result in the loss of potential investors during due diligence or worst of all, your company might become unfundable. Join us for an interactive workshop that will help you lay the proper foundation for the future success of your company. We will identify the most common IP and employment law mistakes made by start-up entrepreneurs. More importantly, we will explain HOW TO AVOID THEM!
Bob Levy and Marie Burke Kenny, partners in Procopio’s Labor and Employment group, will discuss the "Top 5 Most Common Employment Law Mistakes to Avoid" (and the potential legal and business consequences of not doing so), which include:
1. Failing to "lawfully" compensate "employees" (misclassified independent contractors and no, equity is not enough, and no, not everyone working full-time can be a consultant!);
2. Failing to have written agreements (at will, arbitration, compensation, confidential information, etc., and no, the deal on the back of the napkin probably does not cover it all!);
3. Failing to have written policies and procedures (unlawful harassment and discrimination, use of electronic communications/social media, etc., and no, it is never too early to get these in place--founder relationships do not always work out!);
4. Failing to plan the recruiting and hiring process; and
5. Failing to conduct "rightful" terminations.
Noel Gillespie, Lisel Ferguson, and Paul Burns, Procopio IP Attorneys, will discuss the "Top 5 Most Common IP Mistakes to Avoid" (and the potential legal and business consequences of doing so), which include:
1. Failing to use NDA's (yes, it really can be a big deal and could limit your ability to protect your IP);
2. Failing to have an IP Plan and Strategy (including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets);
3. Failing to file for IP protection (when is the right time to file, and what about those provisionals?);
4. Failing to get assignments for IP inventions, copyrights and trademarks; and
5. Failing to get exclusivity for IP inventions, copyrights and trademarks.
Have you encountered any of the mistakes above - or have you ever had questions about these or other employment and IP matters? If so, you can not afford to miss this interactive workshop.
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM: Registration/Breakfast/Networking
8:30 AM - 12:00 PM: Workshop
$60.00 Onsite Registration (Note: seating is limited; onsite registration will be based on availability)
625 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94301