SVForum Main Event - Raising Capital for Early Stage Technology Startups
Updates from the Event
Online registration is now closed. Walk-ins welcome.
While the cost for developing anything software related continues to decline, most startups that want to grow quickly still need some venture capital. Where should you be looking to raise that first round beyond friends & family? Do you just need to be one of the pack to get portfolio strategy angels like Ron Conway to throw you a few crumbs? Or, do you need to look bigger than you are to attract the attention of Mike Maples with his "Thunder lizard" approach? What about more conventional angel groups such as the Band of Angels, Sand Hill Angels, and Angels' Forum? What sort of deals are they looking for? What type of deals are attracting funding through AngelList? And what about incubators like Y-Combinator and 500 Startups, that offer small amounts of funding plus mentoring, in exchange for quite large amounts of equity – are they delivering on the promise? What does a technology startup need to look like, to cause VCs and angels to reach for their wallets?
This lively panel discussion will explore current trends and panelist opinions.
• Types of startups are getting funded – Consumer? Big Data? Social? Mobile Payments? CleanTech?
• Most attractive markets – 5 million free members to the next Pinterest, Mobile & Loco Apps, Big Data/Business Intelligence, Medical Devices, Robotics…. Or what??
• Are industries that require a lot of money to get going, such as CleanTech, Semiconductor and Life Sciences still attractive to the new breed of investors?
• Are investors looking for young college drop outs, or experienced 40 year olds who are frustrated working for "the man"?
• What are investors looking for in startup exits – a long-term company, a quick flip to Google or perhaps an IPO?
• Do you need to have a business model, or can that wait until you have enough eyeballs, or other customer traction?
Online Registration Pricing:
Summer Special - SVForum members: $18 (regularly $25)
Summer Special - General Public: $42 (regularly $59)
On-site registration/Door Price: Additional $10
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Networking and hors d’oeuvres
7:00 pm - 8:15 pm Panel discussion and Q&A
8:15 pm - 8:30 pm Additional networking